The old-fashioned holiday spirit has got to me finally and I felt an urge to do something for my family. I invited them for a dinner.
“Oh, - you’d say - big deal”. Well, it is, as I haven’t invited anyone at my place for several years and I’m a lame cook. So the deal was BIG for me. Anyway.
By the afternoon I grew slightly nervous and had a creepy thought to cancel the dinner. Luckily, I was brave enough not to do it. I left the office, did some last-minute shopping and headed home.
The next our was a rush. My grandparents arrived earlier to watch their must-see TV-show before the dinner. That could have been fine, but for granny who entered the kitchen every commercial break to ask how it was going. It was actually going not bad.
I did ruin one frying pan, as didn’t notice that the ring under it was hot. When I poured water in it, the frying-pan burst into hissing, bowling and crackling. The kitchen filled with smog and I heard a voice somewhere in the doorway: “Do I detect a fire in the kitchen?” It’s nothing, - I lied trying to get rid of a smelly, crackling frying pan. I pushed the voice owner from the doorway, closed the door and opened the window. In several minutes the mushrooms and potatoes were braising peacefully in another frying pan and I was making salad to “Surviver” song.
Soon the family were sitting at the table chatting gaily and eating the meals that I had cooked (rather well). Could be better of course, but I’m still proud of myself.