Monday, August 25

a peaceful week-end

... and what a peaceful week-end it was! The cute little cat below symbolises it completely. There was no jet flights, many-hours walks or binges. I enjoyed idleness lying around the sofa, listening to music, chatting to pals online and reading the most tiresome and at the same time the most exciting author William Somerset Maugham.

I'm reading his Theatre. The plot of which I found really boring back in college, where we were supposed to read it, analyse it and write numerous essays. The storyline still doesn't impress me, but I'm absolutely enchanted with the language: the choice of words is amasing, the punctuation is perfect, the narration flows smoothly due to syntax. I'm simply in love with Mr. Maugham manner of writing and is now really eager to read more of his works.

W. Somerset Maugham once observed: When I read a book I seem to read it with my eyes only, but now and then I come across a passage, perhaps only a phrase, which has a meaning for me, and it becomes part of me. And today I have to admit, there is something about his books that I'd like to become part of me.

No comments: